The objective of this comprehensive article is to highlight the Definition an Importance of Forests.
1. Definition of Forests:
A biotic community dominated by trees and woody shrubs having closed canopy is called a forests. The science of development and management of the forests is called forestry.
2. Importance of Forests:
Forests are the invaluable wealth of a country and a renewable natural resources. They are beneficial to man in following ways:
- Forests provide fuel wood, timber, paper, bamboo, rayon, cane etc.
- Forests helps to maintain oxygen content of the atmosphere.
- Forests provide shelter and food to a variety of plants, animals and microorganisms.
- The forests prevent soil erosion by the network of plant roots firmly binding the soil.
- The leaves reduce the force of the rain drops to keep soil intact.
- The trees decrease the velocity of the wind to prevent dislodging of soil particles.
- The shade of the trees keeps the soil cool and moist in summer to offset the eroding effect of the wind.
- The layer of humans absorbs and hold rain water preventing flash foods.
- Forests aesthetic value .
- Many people are employed in the profession connected with forests.